1 small seedless watermelon
½ lb chicken breast
3.5 oz package goat cheese
3–4 tbsp seasoned nuts/seeds
Spinach and/or arugula
Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
Round pepper as garnish
- To start, slice watermelon into approximately 1-inch round slices, leaving the rind intact. Place in fridge to chill.
- Cut chicken into thin strips or cubes and thread onto skewer. Marinate in olive oil and seasoning of choice.
- Preheat grill (the hotter, the better). Sear watermelon quickly and return to fridge. Cook chicken thoroughly.
- In bowl, mix greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add liberal amount of goat cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Remove the rind from the watermelon and cut into cubes. Sprinkle with salt and add to salad.
- Place chicken skewers on top and garnish with balsamic glaze and ground pepper if desired.
- Serve as a side salad or an entrée, and enjoy!
When grilling the watermelon, the idea is simply to sear the meat without cooking it, as it will become soft and mushy. I find that the colder the melon is prior to going on the grill, the better. This is also true when serving the salad. I recommend grilling the watermelon and chicken ahead of time and serving the salad as a cold item, although the chicken can be served warm.
*An alternative to the goat cheese and sunflower seeds is to use feta and walnuts.