This recipe is a dish my family has been making for years, we call it Macaroni and Broccoli. It is easy and has tons of flavor for a dish with not many ingredients. Now in typical Italian fashion we don't have an actual recipe, so I am going off of memory. :)
Macaroni and Broccoli
1 box Rigatoni
1 medium size head of broccoli (fresh preferred) cut into bite size chunks
1 cup of bread crumb - toasted
Garlic - I use three cloves diced (measure with your heart)
Half a yellow onion - diced
Better than bouillon paste - about 1 tablespoon
Butter - 2-4 tablespoons
1. Fill a pot of water for the macaroni and turn it on to boil. Add salt to the water, about one tablespoon
2. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic until translucent/fragrant. Add better than bouillon paste. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well then lower heat. Cook for about 2 minutes and turn off heat.
3. When water is ready, cook macaroni WITH the broccoli according to the directions on the box.
4. Before straining reserve about 1 cup of the water from the pot and set aside.
5. Strain macaroni and add the garlic/onion mixture to it. Add as little or as much of the water you want for your desired consistency. Add butter and mix. Season to taste.
6. Serve with parmesan and toasted bread crumbs on top - I like extra breadcrumbs.